Oral DNA Testing
Ask Complete Dental of Education Hill if our services are right for youMake an Appointment
What is Oral DNA Testing?
Oral DNA testing is a quick and easy way to identify bacteria that may be causing a patient's gum (perio) disease. Testing can also determine if the bacteria is linked to other oral health issues, and which treatment options will be most effective in treating your smile.
Benefits of Oral DNA Testing
- Identify oral pathogens - common pathogens can cause gum disease and are linked to an increased risk of cardiovascular disease, diabetes, stroke, kidney disease, and other chronic conditions.
- Identify gene markers - some people are born with gene markers that are commonly linked to increased risk of inflammation, which is a factor in the severity of several conditions including periodontal disease, cardiovascular disease, kidney disease, diabetes, and other conditions
- HPV/oral cancer detection - learn if you have HPV high-risk types associated with oral cancer.
- Fast & effective treatment - helps providers create the most effective treatment plan as quickly as possible.
Who is a Good Candidate for Oral DNA Testing?
Oral DNA testing can be beneficial to many people, but especially to those who have a personal or family history of:
- Periodontal/gum disease
- Cardiovascular disease
Or patients who:
- Have had cardiovascular surgery in the past
- Experience dry mouth
- Have previously had joint replacement surgery
- Are scheduled to undergo chemotherapy or radiation
- Are immunocompromised
How is Oral DNA Testing Done?
Oral DNA testing is quick and easy.
Step 1. You'll rinse your mouth with water and spit it into a cup.
Step 2. The sample from the cup is sent to a laboratory.
Step 3. In as little as a week, you and your provider will find out your bacterial composition, allowing for more effective & prompt treatment and a healthier smile.